These case studies present Smart Growth America’s key findings and the lessons we’ve learned about smart growth implementation from a four-year technical assistance program funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The cases are meant to help communities that are committed to (or are exploring) smart growth but struggle with implementation.
The cases highlight successful strategies in building support, in identifying the most problematic policies and in other issues that typically accompany a major change in development practice. The case studies also showcase the use of the tools included in the Smart Growth Implementation Toolkit.
You can download each case separately in PDF format:
- Anchorage, Alaska
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Camden County, North Carolina
- Chattahoochee Hill Country, Fulton County, Georgia
- Coconino County, Arizona
- Davis, California
- Greenville, South Carolina
- Mount Joy Borough, Pennsylvania
- Nashville-Davidson County, Tennessee
- New Castle County, Delaware
- Newton County, Georgia
- Orange County, Florida
- Rancho Cordova, California
- Richmond, California
- Traverse Communities, Michigan
Or you can download all the case studies in a single ZIP file here (1.75 Mb).